How to clean up mold problems
“Small areas” of mold can be cleaned with a detergent solution.
Wear a mask, safety goggles and rubber gloves.
Seek professional help if there is a lot of mold or if mold comes back after cleaning.
Bleach is NOT recommended
The presence of organic (humic) materials, the pH (acidity/alkalinity) of the water, the surface material and contact time affect the effectiveness of bleach for disinfection. Since these factors are not generally controlled, bleach cannot be relied upon for disinfection. The most compelling reason for advising against bleach is that fumes are harmful but in addition, overuse of bleach will result in increased releases of chlorinated effluents which can be harmful to the environment.
Small area clean-up
You can clean up small areas of mold (fewer than three patches, each smaller than a square meter) yourself. The minimum protective wear needed are:
safety glasses or goggles
a disposable dust mask
household rubber gloves.
**Infants and other family members with asthma, allergies or other health problems should not be in the work area or adjacent room during the cleaning **
Scrub with an unscented detergent solution; then sponge with a clean, wet rag and dry quickly.
Using an unscented detergent will make it easier for you to detect residual moldy odours.
Got a cleaning question?? Ask Mrs Mopp Cleaning Services