10 Must-Do Steps To Get Your Home Ready For Christmas!
*Immediately starts twitching*
We know. You’ve already got enough to think about. Work is crazy. Smug people on Facebook are posting that they’ve finished their Christmas shopping, meanwhile, you forgot to pick up milk today. You promised to host the whole family for Christmas when you were in a good mood and now you’re regretting it. And to top it all off, the kids have just announced 7 things they are so excited for Santa to bring, even though they’ve never mentioned them before?!
*Twitching turns to rocking in a corner*
Christmas, although wonderful, can be total chaos and stress. As if you have time for 10 Must-Do Steps. We get it. But hear us out. These steps are there to make your Christmas easier, less stressful and more put together than Mr and Mrs Elf themselves on Facebook!
And as you’re rushed for time, we’ll get straight on with it…
Step 1 – Declutter
Like seriously. Your home is about to filled with even more things that probably won’t bring you joy, but you feel the need to keep. Before that happens, remove what you no longer need or want. Go one step further and donate those items to charity. Do your good deed for the holidays. Don’t know where to start? See our post ‘3 Decluttering Tips For A Beautiful Home This Christmas’
Step 2 – Brighten whites
This may not seem crucial, but it will make you feel so much better about your home. When we’re stressed, we need a relaxed space to unwind. We’re going to make your home that space. To brighten your white linens, towels, clothes etc, simply add ½ cup of baking soda, along with your laundry detergent, to your washing.
Step 3 – Smelling good
Picture the scene, it’s been a long day at work, your arms are giving way under the 8 bags of shopping you’re trying to fit through the front door, and it hits you. The most beautiful and calming Christmas scent, that takes you right back to childhood. Oh yes. We’ve got you covered. Click here for our Top 3 DIY Christmas Scents!
Step 4 – Prepare for guests
If you’re not the hosts this Christmas, feel free to smugly skip this step. If you are, don’t panic. You can make yourself the hostess with the mostess with these simple steps…
- Go all hotel – Write a nice Christmas note and put it with some celebrations on their pillow for when they arrive.
- Give them a spa experience – Whether it’s a robe, some Christmas pj’s or a fluffy pair of Christmas socks from Primark, getting your guests a little something to have waiting in their room will go a long way.
- Clean your spare rooms thoroughly, windows and all – We know that is the last thing you have time for, so don’t worry, we’ll do it!
Step 5 – Decorate
Release your inner elf and go to town. If you have children, get them involved. It’s a great way to have quality family time. Here’s some DIY Christmas decoration ideas we really like.
Step 6 – Prep your kitchen for the big day
Let’s be honest, this room gets a lot of action over the Christmas period. It’s best to make sure it’s ready. Here’s some little hacks to make sure your kitchen is ready to feed the world…
- Reduce any odors – You have lots of food going on, so its really important you don’t get those funky smells in your bin or fridge. The best way to do that, is put one cup of baking soda at the bottom of your bin, and leave an open bag of baking soda in your fridge. Doing this will neutralize odors, keeping your kitchen smelling fresh.
- Remove stains from your pans – Let’s get real, no one wants to be able to taste that dinner you burnt 3 weeks ago. If your pans have stains on (which we all suffer with), there’s an easy way to fix it. Fill the pan in question with warm water, put in a tumble dryer sheet and leave overnight to soak.
- Clean your oven – Again, this is way less scary than it sounds. All you need is water, white vinegar and a baking tray. See here!
Step 7 – Make sure you’re stocked up with products
The shops are open at all sorts of strange times over the Christmas period. Don’t get caught out with not having the right cleaning supplies. Here’s our favourite DIY ones you can make, so you don’t need to worry…
- Multi-surface – Make up a spray bottle using around 2 ounces of water to every 15 drops of essential oil. You can use this solution to wipe down all surfaces. Lavender and cinnamon are both antibacterial and smell amazing.
- Sink cleaner – Add a few drops of lemon juice to some baking soda. Leave to sit for 15 minutes then clean away. Your sink will be sparkling and smelling lovely.
- Glass cleaner – Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice to some water in a bottle. This works a treat and smells great.
Step 8 – Make everywhere sparkle
As well as fairy lights and tinsel, get your chrome work dazzling, by mixing half water, half white vinegar in a bottle and spraying onto your chrome work. Leave the solution to stand for 20-minutes, then, using a soft cloth, wipe away. For extra stubborn stains, rub with baking soda.
Step 9 – Clean
We’ve mentioned a lot of awesome cleaning tips on this post, but what if you don’t have time? Or you just don’t want to? That’s totally okay and you shouldn’t feel guilty. That’s why we’re here. We will make your home beautiful and sparkly this Christmas.
Step 10 – Get cosy
Relax and have a wonderful Christmas. Your home is now clean, it’s smelling great with your homemade scents, your linens are fresh, your kitchen is beautiful and your Moppettes have been. Now it’s time to sit back, put on your favourite Christmas movie, open up that tub of Roses and relax.
As our way of wishing you a very Merry Christmas, here is 15% off a clean with us.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Love, The Moppettes x