Help! Turmeric Stain On My Jumper!
We have been asked the following question on our Twitter account:
Okay, turmeric staining is a toughie, but fear not we have a few tricks that could help save your jumper!
For the benefit of those curry lovers out there, who may face turmeric staining in the future, and don’t fancy a bright yellow/orange stain on your clothing, follow this quick-clean guide.
- Stop eating and take action!
- Get the clothing/tablecloth to the sink and dab (DO NOT RUB) the stain with cold water and washing powder/liquid or cold water and washing up liquid will do the trick also
- Leave for 30 mins in soak
- Next dab the stain with distilled white vinegar (or neat lemon/lime juice as a substitute)
- To finish, hang to dry, preferably in direct sunlight, to bleach the stain out naturally (Good luck with the sunshine in the UK! 😉 )
For a stain that has dried into the fabric or is an older, lingering stain, we have these 5 top tricks for you to try:
* Disclaimer: Please, please, please always test the cleaning solution on a inconspicuous part of the garment first! *
1. If the stain is now a light orange/pink colour we can try the next steps, however, if your stain is still very yellow/orange – please repeat (or start) the steps above. For a pink stain you can use an oxygenated bleach product designed for clothing in a normal wash cycle – the product works by releasing bubbles of oxygen to penetrate the fibers of the garment. You could also try a sodium hypochlorite bleach based product, if it is safe on the fabric of the garment. *ALWAYS READ THE LABEL FIRST*
2. Sunlight – If you can get a clear day, hang the garment outside. The sun will naturally bleach the stain.
3. Make a paste with baking powder and water (3:1) and massage the paste into the offending stain. Leave overnight and then wash as normal the next day
4. Soak the stain in soda water overnight – not tonic or anything containing sugar, as that will make it worse. Wash as normal the next day
5. For bleach sensitive garments you can use Glycerin. Soak the garment in a warm water/glycerin mix (8:1) for 30 minutes and then wash as normal OR make apply glycerin direct to the stain and massage into the area, rinse with cool water and then launder as normal.
We hope this helps!
Best of luck and let us know how you get on 🙂
Mrs Mopp x